Wednesday, May 19, 2021

"Greetings From Leighlin Road": A MID-WEEK MIX

 

 

This mix finds your host trying to sell the argument that if you are a Bruce Springsteen fan, you should also be a Thin Lizzy fan. And vice versa, of course. If you aren't a fan of either, maybe when you're through listening to these selections, you will be.

Phil Lynott and Bruce Springsteen have more in common with each other than not. Lynott's life was cut short due to his hard living, but I do believe had he lived, his music would have circled back to the soulful folk and blues of his earliest sides. Both Bruce and Phil are consummate front men and amazing storytellers who love to fight for what's right, as well as making sure everyone is having a good time.

I think the biggest sin regarding Thin Lizzy is how they are consistently mislabled, not just as one-hit wonders, but also a heavy metal band, which they are not. Nor are they a glam band. Thin Lizzy is a rock and roll band with a true poet and showman at its heart. Phil Lynott, as a singer, possessed that amazing ability, like Sinatra or even Robert Palmer, to turn phrases that are unmistakably his own. 

Musically, as I hope you will hear for yourself, the songs of Bruce & the ESB and Thin Lizzy can sit comfortably side by side. They weave in and out of each other with characters and arrangements that share ideas, cars, women, harmony and melody.

Sometimes the setting is New Jersey and sometimes it's Ireland. But with Bruce Springsteen and Phil Lynott, it always comes from the gut.

TRACKLIST
The E Street Shuffle- BS
Romeo & The Lonely Girl- TL
Growin' Up- BS
She Knows- TL
Tenth Avenue Freeze Out- BS
Rosalie- TL
Crush On You- BS
Old Flame- TL
Fire- BS
Dancing In The Moonlight- TL
Badlands- BS
We Will Be Strong- TL
Take'Em As They Come- BS
Waiting For An Alibi- TL
My Hometown- BS
Old Town- PL
Born To Run- BS
The Boys Are Back In  Town- TL
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)- BS

zip

20 comments:

Troy said...

Sounds intriguing. TBH, I don't know a lot about TL, but obviously love BS. Will check it out, thanks.

Sal Nunziato said...

@Troy
"I don't know a lot about TL"

I think that is going to be the feeling of many.

Anonymous said...

I first listened to Thin Lizzy as a teenager, before paying much attention to Bruce, but since my college days, I enjoy them both. I got to see TL once as part of a big stadium show in the late 70's - the gig was great even though the sound sucked and there weren't big screens to provide close-ups for those of us who weren't near the stage. Those harmonized guitars drew me in, but Phil's greatness keeps me enjoying the deep cuts. There are some misses, but mostly TL are wonderful.

I became a Bruce fan after seeing a show on the Born In The USA tour. That gig seemed to never end and loved almost every moment of it. Helped that we sat close enough for a good view. After that, I was hooked.

Looking forward to spinning the mix.

- Paul in DK

heartsofstone said...

Great call on this one. If this encourages only a few check out TL it is well worth it. TL is so underrated.

JAYESSEMM said...

Thanks Bruce. Thanks Phil. Thanks Sal!

One of the many joys of my time following Burning Wood is a new appreciation / awareness of Thin Lizzy.

elroy said...

Did the Phil Lynott documentary (Songs for While I'm Away) ever come out? I find reviews for it but no way to stream or buy...

A Walk In The Woods said...

Amen! Years ago, I FINALLY got into Thin Lizzy via your blog. I mean, I missed them totally despite growing up in the 70s - other than the radio hits of course.

I commented on one of your posts then that they reminded me of Springsteen more than anyone else, especially when Phil was in 'street poet' mode, which is a lot.

So this looks like just the right fusion of the two, this mix.

Mr. Baez said...

Excellent! Thanks, Sal.

Ken D said...

Not sure how Thin Lizzy has eluded me all this time . . . but they did.
So thanks for the schooling. Sounds terrific.
Is it all this good? (And how could this possibly be labelled heavy metal?)

Sal Nunziato said...

@Ken D.
I am a full on Lizzy fan, so I'm not afraid to say, yes, it is all this good. But, buyer beware, I specifcally chose songs that would illustrate the BS/TL comparisons. There are much harder songs, folkier songs (as heard on the first two) and their last studio recording, "Thunder & Lightning" which is the closest they get to heavy metal, and also one of my least favorites.

But overall, Lynott's songs are full of great melodies, terrific wordplay and of course, those twin guitars which never fail to make me smile.

Anonymous said...

Sal,
You are doing the Lord's work, lad.
-Philo

Sal Nunziato said...

It’s been in limited US cities as a PPV but I’ve yet to see it in NYC. Or really more than two or three opportunities.

Scottdammit! said...

Why is there no "Rosalie/Rosalita" mash-up anywhere? Fine, I'll do it myself. Well, off to turn the crank on my Audacity machine...

P.s. Stonking good setlist.

Sal Nunziato said...

BONUS TRACKS
The Rocker (Album Version)
Kitty's Back

Anonymous said...

I've always figured UFO's "Wild, Willing and Innocent" album was inspired by Springsteen, but perhaps a bit of Lizzy, too.

Troy said...

I really enjoyed that mix, Sal. Thanks for sharing. Definitely hear a lot of similarity in the styles, imagery, sounds, etc. Pretty cool.

Fabio D. said...

To me The Great Absent is "Slow Blues" by TL maybe in second slot.... More a Lizzy than Bruce guy.

JAYESSEMM said...

Hey Sal,

Apropos of nothin' ... I'm having a Thin Lizzy fest at Casa COVID this week.

Thanks!

Steven said...

hmmmm...I'm a fan of both, more Bruce than TL...
never looked at my fandom of both from this perspective...
it will be interesting to listen to your playlist...

allen vella said...

this is why i love you sal!