Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Quickies: September '21

 

 

 

Ellen Foley's solo debut "Nightout" is a favorite of mine. Produced By Ian Hunter & Mick Ronson, "Nightout" is a terrific showcase for Foley's powerhouse vocals as she covers a couple of 60's nuggets, a Graham Parker classic and an original or three. Her new album, "Fighting Words," is her first in eight years and it feels like a natural follow-up to that debut from 1979. It's not perfect, but when it works, it works well. There are more than a few gems and "Fighting Words" is worth your time.




Question? 

Does Dan Auerbach have one set of backing tracks that he uses for everyone he produces?


I loved what he did with Dr. John on "Locked Down," but since then, it seems like he sets the drums to "fart," adds some fake strings and essentially nods off until all lead vocal tracks have been put down. I mean, he basically broke Chrissie Hynde! 

That said, there's some nice stuff on "Year Of the Spider," the new one from Shannon & The Clams, but too much of it reeks of Auerbach. I would love to hear this record in the hands of someone/anyone else.





The surprise spin of the week is the new one from Herb Alpert. This isn't groundbreaking music, but I found "Catch The Wind" to be a lot of fun. Rather than trying to stay current or trendy, Alpert keeps that traditional Tijuana Brass sound and just ups the ante a bit. 

(h/t nycdguy)




And speaking of Dan Auerbach, check out the opening track from Yola's new one. Sounds a bit like that Shannon & The Clams track I posted above, no? I don't blame Shannon, her Clams or Yola. As a matter of fact, Yola's "Stand For Myself" is pretty terrific. I think some of it has to do with her voice which is a natural for this retro, country soul sound, moreso than Shannon, who holds her own, but struggles a bit to own it. Also, the material on"Stand For Myself" is much stronger, so maybe that is why the production works, as opposed to getting in the way. I'm really digging this record.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sal, love the 'quickie' post. Didn't you used to do a Tuesday post on new releases?

It's difficult keeping track of what all's being released these days.

Randy

Sal Nunziato said...

Randy,
Back when I was able to get promos of just about anything, I did the "If It's Tuesday, It Must Be Street Date" post. But the promos stopped, and then more crap was being released every week, so it became too much like work.

I think I like the "Quickie" idea.

kevin m said...

I gave Shannon & The Clams are few listens and frankly it doesn't work for me. But I love the Yola album!

hpunch said...

I'll take Yola over Yo La Tengo

I'll take Henry Gross's Shannon over Shannon and The Clams.

Chris Collins said...

I really like the new Ellen Foley as well! She's playing at the Bowery Electric soon. I'm working that night but hope to make the show

A Walk In The Woods said...

I would have passed over the Ellen Foley entirely if not for your review - I dig it! The part at the 2:35 mark with "Can you hear me?" before the guitar solo is great... the whole thing charmed me, as a statement of purpose in 2021.

The Yola... I want to like her, because I'm told she's the next big thing and I want to be on board with that. At first I didn't dig the track you posted - the music sounds a tad too sped up for the lyrics - but liked it more as it went on.

Thanks for clueing me/us into some new stuff - I always need that!

Anonymous said...

Yola gives me a modern day Mary Wells vibe.

Good stuff.

Captain Al

Jimbo said...

Like Ellen Foley new album, but she needs to do more shes so talented a bit like Rachel Sweet. Give Ian Hunter or Mick Jones a ring. Rock on