Friday, October 1, 2021

"Off The Beaten Trax, Redux": THE WEEKEND MIX

 


(This mix originally appeared in 2014. It has been altered slightly.)

I would bet that "Nobody" by The Replacements would not appear on a 'Mats fans' list of Top 20 'Mats tunes. It's on mine though.

From "All Shook Down," the band's swansong, and really more a Paul Westerberg solo record, "Nobody" is a gem. I love The Replacements, but not because of the drunken 2 hour live shows with half-baked cover versions, broken guitars and forgotten lyrics. Yeah, those shows were special in their own way, but I am really not a fan of the "it's so bad, it's good" school of rock. It works with movies for me, but not with music. I love The Replacements because underneath that "Fuck the big time" persona, Paul Westerberg wrote three dozen songs that rank with some of the best of the last forty years and "Nobody" is one of them.

Seven of the twelve tracks here are deeper than usual by some very popular artists, including the Ryan Adams produced Fleetwood Mac cover by Willie Nelson and an admittedly schmaltzy production behind a stellar Carl Wilson vocal on the late 70's Beach Boys track, "Full Sail."

The mix is filled out with a few other tunes that I wanted to share, including a fave by Lucinda, one of my favorite Beatles covers of all the time from a very trippy Junior Parker and the incredibly greasy cover of "Susie Q" by the Stones, which opens the set.

TRACKLIST

Susie Q- Rolling Stones
I've Got Your Love- Boz Scaggs
Taxman- Junior Parker
Sweet Daddy Deacon- Jr. Walker & The All-Stars
Right Back Where We Started From- Chandler Travis Philharmonic
Full Sail- Beach Boys
Watch The Sunrise- Big Star
All Them Losers- Tim Christensen & The Damn Crystals
Mother Whale Eyeless- Brian Eno
Bumpercars- Andy Partridge
Essence- Lucinda Williams
Nobody- The Replacements
Songbird- Willie Nelson

Have a great weekend mix, everybody!

 

ZIP

8 comments:

Kirke said...

Great mix of songs. Full Sail did not show up though.
Please do not post this boring message.
Thank you for perseverance! I have really learned so much from this blog. Can't imagine what it must have been like to visit your store back in the day.

Sal Nunziato said...

Sorry Kirke,
It was automatic. But at least now I can say a) thank you and b) fixing the zip so it includes Full Sail. Give it a few minutes.

wardo said...

I love "Nobody".

Jobe said...

Not a big fan of "Nobody" but love "When It Began"

Crab Devil said...

Thanks! I'm not sure how I managed for so many decades
to miss the Stones covering "Susie Q," but I guess it
just goes to show that stuff like that does happen. What
with my being so easily impressed by anything even
remotely like perfect power pop, I'm REALLY taken with
"All Them Losers." BTW, on the same Junior Parker album
as "Taxman" comes from, there's a sparse-sounding yet
highly atmospheric version of "Tomorrow Never Knows."

heartsofstone said...

You put Brian Eno, Boz Scaggs, Andy Partridge and Willie Nelson in the sam mix and it all works - Simply awesome. Thanks so much.

daudder said...

Your weekend mix's, and your ability to share great music gone unheralded, is why I love this blog/site/diary. Thanks so much!

dogbreath said...

Having "Full Sail" in the mix was "full steam ahead" for me (tenuously analogous I know) and thank goodness for he who is Eno. Nice job. Cheers!