Sunday, July 17, 2022

Songs Of The Week, 2022: 7/9-7/15


 

Them Belly Full- Charlie Hunter Quartet
Daughter Of Darkness- Tom Jones
Honest Work- Todd Rundgren
My Father- Graham Gouldman
Early Morning Eyes- The Parlour Band
It'll Take A Long Time- Sandy Denny
Runaway- Jason Falkner

zip

Them Belly Full- Charlie Hunter Quartet
If you caught a recent "One Sentence Review" on the left, you would have seen a rave review about Charlie Hunter's tribute to "Natty Dread." Here's one of those tracks.

Daughter Of Darkness- Tom Jones
I had been singing this one for a week. I have no idea why, but here it is, in all its AM radio glory.

Honest Work- Todd Rundgren
One of my very favorites from the "A Cappella" record. A powerhouse in under three minutes.

My Father- Graham Gouldman
For years, 1968's "The Graham Gouldman Thing" was impossible to find, at one point fetching $100 back when $25 was a lot for a record. It was never really considered a great record, either. The idea of the man behind the hits singing his own versions looked better on paper than the final result. But this record has grown on me over the years. It's beautifully understated with lovely arrangements by John Paul Jones. And still not so easy to find. This track, I believe, was a new one at the time.

Early Morning Eyes- The Parlour Band
And speaking of expensive records, The Parlour Band's sole release, "Is A Friend?" gets between $500-1000 for an original pressing. It has since been reissued, thankfully. This record from 1972, gets filed under "prog rock," and that is unfair. This is a pretty record with some breezy melodies underneath the stellar musicianship.

It'll Take A Long Time- Sandy Denny
Lovely. Pretty. Beautiful. Masterful. I could go on about Miss Denny and I usually do. Just listen...listen.

Runaway- Jason Falkner
Dear Jason,
What the hell?
Make a record!
Reissue your old records!
Do something!
Regards,
Sal

4 comments:

A Walk In The Woods said...

Nice! I'm on a slow mission to get most every note Sandy Denny ever recorded. It's all rewarding.

Anonymous said...

I don't remember the time frame, but I believe it was in a fairly recent interview that Jason F. stated he's pretty much got a new album in the can, so hopefully soon we'll have new music...though, I'll believe it when I hear it.

Thanks for the mix!

Randy

dogbreath said...

Could never be enough Sandy Denny - just been through the "Live At The BBC" book/box set & lamenting the fact there's not more. Thanks for doing up your zip on the SOTW. Cheers!

elroy said...

Thanks Anon for the info about potential new JF. Fingers gently crossed...