Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Ed Lozano. Adios, Mi Amigo

That's brother Rob Wahlgren on the right.

That's brother Allen Vella on the Fender bass.

Yours truly is in the back on the drums.

On the left, one of the sweetest guys on the planet and definitely one of the most talented, brother Ed Lozano, who passed away yesterday after a short illness.

The Ed Lozano Band didn't last long enough. But during our brief time together over a couple of years, we had a wonderful time just calling out tunes and making them work. Ed supported each one of us, always open to song suggestions and arrangements. We even managed one live gig.

Ed Lozano was a good man and though he had relocated to Columbia with his new bride, I always had the possiblity of an afternoon reunion jam in the back of my mind, if and when he returned to Queens, USA.

Safe travels, my friend. 

You will be missed.

 



20 comments:

JD said...

Wonderful tribute - my condolences.

kevin m said...

Sorry for your loss Sal

Anonymous said...

Very nice sound.

Great memories I'm sure.

Randy

steve simels said...

Oh hell…So sorry, Sal.

Anonymous said...

To steal from Simels: "This death shit is really starting to piss me off!" My condolences. Nicely written and played.

- Paul in DK

Noel M said...

I'm sorry for your loss. That's a really nice version of "Song For My Father" / "Rikki" and I can imagine how much fun it must have been to play. (I have no musical talent) Sorry for his family and friends that he is gone.

soundsource said...

Sweet

Christine said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your friend - too much of that going around. This was a lovely tribute. Everyone looked like they were truly enjoying themselves.

Mr. Baez said...

Very tasty and expertly played. Thank you for that thoughtful homage.
Peace, brother.

cmealha said...

Sorry to hear about your friend. My condolences.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry to hear. Please post if you hear any details of a memorial service. Joe, Jerome, Matt, Rosemary in JH.

Chris Collins said...

My condolences, Sal. very sorry to hear

Noam said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Sal. Another light gone out.

A couple of days ago one of my oldest musical co-conspirators, a fine bassist, was diagnosed with ALS. Was told he had 2-5 years left, at best. He's in his 50s.

Not long after we met in the mid-80s, we found we both knew the live Zep album so well, that along with his drummer brother, we could play through the live Whole Lotta Love arrangement with its various musical digressions without any discussion or preparation. We had both marinated in that record.

Anyway, back to the point, losing friends sucks, and when a musician goes, it's a loss for the whole world. Peace to you and all who are mourning him.

M_Sharp said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Sal.

hpunch said...

Is this the guy who was leading the band I first saw you play with at the LIC Bar?
This stuff is never easy,.

thanksloads said...

Sorry for your loss Sal.

Michael Giltz said...

My sympathies.

pmac said...

so sorry, Sal. Bunch of good people passing to the other side lately.

buzzbabyjesus said...

Another gone too soon. Sorry to hear.

Dayn McBee said...

So sorry for your loss Sal.