Thursday, April 4, 2019

Bad Kitty Music #10: Uriah Heep









URIAH HEEP - URIAH HEEP 1970. Whenever you hear the overly operatic metallic falsetto deployed (ironically or not), and whatever your reaction to it may be, I feel there can be a straight line traced back to equal parts "Led Zeppelin I" and this record. Stacked falsetto harmonies, hard stereo pans, churling Hammond Cheesemaster, and sensitive acoustic guitar driven power ballads? Check, Check, Checkitty, Check. This record has it all. Is it high art? Not as such. But if you are in the mood for some slow-yet-loud, ham-fisted Vanilla Sludge, you could do far worse. I will be bringing a copy to this weekend’s 2 record shows (WESU Spring Record Fair and The Cromwell Record Riot). As Charles Dickens once said, “Do Not Sleep On The Heep.” 

-John G.



Bad Kitty Music #9: George Thorogood & The Destroyers

Bad Kitty Music #8: Bob(by) Darin

Bad Kitty Music #7: Todd Rundgren

Bad Kitty Music #6: The Rockets

Bad Kitty Music #5: Rush

Bad Kitty Music #4: Dr. John

Bad Kitty Music #3: Terry Reid

Bad Kitty Music #2: Roy Buchanan

Bad Kitty Music #1:  Bobby "Blue"Bland
 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know only one Heep fan, and he's a Vanilla Fudge fan, too! I once Mod-Podged a bunch of album covers all over an art truck. Uriah Heep's debut, with it's big gatefold image, covered most of the driver's side door.

Ken D said...

If I am ever in the mood for "slow-yet-loud, ham-fisted Vanilla Sludge," please put me out of my suffering.
But this guy's copy is funny and spot-on...

buzzbabyjesus said...

I knew a Heap fan once, back in 1977.

philo said...

I feel so ashamed to admit it but I've always liked their ballad "The Park".

Anonymous said...

Well, I happen to like the album Demons And Wizards. But then I don't go for the 'guilty pleasures' thing; if I like it, no reason to feel guilty. I wasn't raised with religion.
C in California

Whattawino said...

I still admit to loving the opening track from Salisbury...”High Priestess” and stand by my love! I’m also a sucker for the album “Look At Yourself”... I saw them at this time in concert supporting Deep Purple (Fireball) and it was a pretty damn fine night!